Traveling to and from your investment property

November 2018

New rules came into effect on 1 July 2017 for property investors who claim deductions for expenses they incur traveling to and from their property.

As a property investor, you are allowed to make certain deductions for your property, however, Government legislation introduced in 2017 aimed to curb the widespread abuse of excessive travel expense claims regarding residential investment property.

The new rules prevent a deduction from being claimed for a loss or outgoing if it relates to travel and the expense is incurred in gaining or producing assessable income from the use of residential premises as residential accommodation.

The Government restricted travel deductions to curb "residential property investors from using the tax system to pay for their holidays by claiming costs as a rental expense."

The purpose of travel is not really relevant

The purpose of the travel is not really relevant under these rules but simply prevent a deduction from being claimed if the travel is undertaken in connection with a residential rental property, which could include travel to inspect the property, undertake repairs, collect rent or meet with real estate agents.

The restriction applies to transport costs (regardless of the mode of transport used), meals and accommodation expenses incurred in relation to a residential rental property.

Exceptions to the changes

There are some exceptions to these changes.

Exceptions to the changes

Firstly, the rules will not prevent a deduction from being claimed if the expense is necessarily incurred in carrying on a business. This means that if you carry on a business of renting properties, you can continue claiming travel deductions if you carry on a business of property investing or a business of providing retirement living, aged care, student accommodation or property management services.

The distinction between someone merely investing in property and someone carrying on a business of property investing is a matter of fact. The ATO will look at the characteristics of the business including:

  • the total number of residential properties that are rented out
  • the average number of hours per week you spend actively engaged in managing the rental properties
  • the skill and expertise exercised in undertaking these activities, and
  • whether professional records are kept and maintained in a business-like manner.

The fact that a taxpayer has multiple properties does not necessarily mean that they are in business. It will really depend on whether you can prove that you actively manage the properties like a business.

In a recent case, the Administrative Appeals Tribunal found that a taxpayer with nine rental properties was considered to be carrying on a business of property rental largely because the taxpayer actively supervised the real estate agent employed and managed issues associated with the properties (thus having a discernible pattern of trading to their activities), the capital employed was significant and they had conducted property rental activities for a number of years.

Investor groups

Also, the rules do not apply to certain entities including:

  • Companies;
  • Superannuation funds, except SMSFs;
  • Managed investment trusts;
  • Public unit trusts; 
  • Unit trusts or partnerships, but only if all unit holders or partners fall within one of the categories above.

Travel expenses cannot be included in the base cost

In addition to the rules that prevent a deduction from being claimed, the changes also ensure that these travel expenses cannot be included in the cost base or reduced cost base of a property.  This means that they cannot be used to reduce a capital gain or increase a capital loss made on sale of the property.

For more information, contact our team on 02 9957 4033.

Follow Bates Cosgrave on Linkedin, Facebook or Twitter


This article is provided for information purposes only and correct at the time of publication. It should not be used in place of advice from your accountant. Please contact us on 02 9957 4033 to discuss your specific circumstances.

Share this

Get Small Business News each month

ChineseLanguage Select