Data matching shared between the ATO and Department of Immigration & Border Protection
Australian visa holders need to be aware of their Australian tax obligations.
- Contact history for visa applicants and their sponsors
- All visa grants and grant status by point in time
- Migration agent data
- Address and contact history for migration agents
- International travel undertaken by visa holders, such as arrivals and departures
- Sponsor details for 457 visas
- Education providers where student visa holders intend to undertake their studies
- The visa subclass code and descriptor
It is expected that data associated with more than one million individuals will be provided to the ATO.
The data matching program means that visa holders, their agents and sponsors need to be aware of their taxation obligations and ensure that they are getting appropriate advice for their employment, property, foreign asset management and other investments while residing in Australia.
To speak to a cross-border tax specialist, please contact us on 9957 4033.
This article is provided for information purposes only and correct at the time of publication. It should not be used in place of advice from your accountant. Please contact us on 02 9957 4033 to discuss your specific circumstances.